News:

Huge spam cleanup. I hope, everything important is still in place. :-)

Main Menu

Super slow client response time

Started by Tykiim, May 13, 2011, 05:24:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tykiim

I have installed the latest CentrED client (0.6.1) on a Windows 7 system and I am getting really slow client response times. It takes about a second to move the map one point in any direction, and other operations like changing my selected tool are equally slow. I have tried disabling the Win7 themes and running in XP compatability mode, but these changes haven't had any effect. I've also tried running against the local IP instead of through the public domain (the server is on a separate computer in my local network), and that only improved slightly (not enough to make me believe it's a network problem, given that client-side operations are slow).

I don't have any other user processes running, and CPU at a standstill is 0-2%, RAM at 20-30%. CPU usage does go into the 50-60% as I execute CentrED operations...

I have another Windows 7 system (with more RAM and a better gfx card, though) that has no trouble at all running the same CentrED client version against the same server. Is there anything I can do to improve the performance for this system?

Here are my system specs:
Intel C2Duo 6300, 1.86GHz
3.5GB DDR2 800MHz RAM
ATI Radeon X1950 video w/2GB onboard memory
Windows 7 32-bit

Hitman

The drivers for your graphics card could be a problem. Since CentrED uses OpenGL, the drivers need to ship a "good" OpenGL implementation, otherwise Windows will map OpenGL onto DirectX (which could probably be pretty slow). That's the only thing I can imagine right now that would explain these problems, given the pretty high hardware specs.

Tykiim

The video drivers were already the most up to date, and I couldnt find any explicit ATI OpenGL drivers. I'm just using a laptop for it now, so I'll live :)

Thanks.