News:

Huge spam cleanup. I hope, everything important is still in place. :-)

Main Menu

How to: Server Installation

Started by Xrak, March 08, 2011, 07:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xrak

I thought I would add a bit to the server installation documents.  I struggled for about an hour trying to figure out what was wrong this AM and through some trial and error was able to get it running.

First, you can't have any instances of UO running on the PC you are installing to.  This only applies to the server software.  So, you cannot be connected to your shard on that PC, you can't be playing on someone elses shard, CentrED needs exclusive rights to your data files in the Ultima Online directory.

Second, depending on the Version of the client software that you are running on this PC, that is the version of Ultima Online, not the server software, you have to amend your map size.  I finally ran across this chart on the CentrED Website, but, couldn't find it without doing a yahoo search:

The map sizes for Felucca and Trammel vary between different UO Versions. Before Mondains Legacy these maps were 768x512 in size but were enlarged to 896x512 afterwards.

Map    Size    File    Bytes
Felucca (Pre-ML)    768x512    map0.mul    77,070,336
      staidx0.mul    4,718,592
      statics0.mul    
Trammel (Pre-ML)    768x512    map0.mul    77,070,336
      staidx0.mul    4,718,592
      statics0.mul    
      stadif*1.mul    
Felucca (ML)    896x512    map0.mul    89,915,392
      staidx0.mul    5,505,024
      statics0.mul    
Trammel (ML)    896x512    map1.mul    89,915,392
      staidx1.mul    5,505,024
      statics1.mul    
Ilshenar    288x200    map2.mul    11,289,600
      staidx2.mul    691,200
      statics2.mul    
Malas    320x256    map3.mul    16,056,320
      staidx3.mul    983,040
      statics3.mul    
Tokuno    181x181    map4.mul    6,421,156
      staidx4.mul    393,132
      statics4.mul    

The URL is: http://redmine.aksdb.de/projects/centred/wiki/Map

Obviously looking at this chart, in order to edit different maps you are going to have to edit the cedserver.xml file to open a different set of MUL files AND modify the map sizes accordingly.  PLEASE NOTE: the pdf documentation says that the config file is cedserver.ini.  It appears at some point this has changed, it is cedserver.xml now.  As near as I can figure the only way to change maps is to manually edit this file and restart the server.

If you place your cedserver.exe file IN your main UO directory, you should be able to run and connect.  If you want to place it outside of your main UO directory, you will have to type full pathnames for each of the MUL files that cedserver wants to access.

Hitman

I usually have a separate set of mul files for cedserver so it doesn't conflict with RunUO or the UO Client. Also you can have several instances of cedserver running, each on their own port. The config file to load is determined from the name of the server executable. So if you make a copy of "cedserver.exe" to "cedserver2.exe", the copy will look for "cedserver2.xml". Therefore you can even have multiple servers in one directory. I will also (sometime ... ;-)) add a commandline parameter to set the config file so one doesn't have to rename the executable.