News:

Huge spam cleanup. I hope, everything important is still in place. :-)

Main Menu

Is CentrED still in progress?

Started by elysianhero, January 14, 2009, 06:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elysianhero

I have found that I really love CentrED, and have gotten it to work well (other than the client being very laggy, which I heard has already been addressed). I guess my curiosity has gotten the best of me, and I was wondering if it is still under development. My main concern currently is the lag, which is slowly turning me into a more patient person  :D If there's any way to speed it up, let me know. Other than that, I just think it's great, and was curious. :)

While I'm posting (I hate appearing on a forum, and then posting a bunch of separate posts. I feel that that's distasteful, and avoid it whenever I can), I had a question two things, Regions, and Large Scale commands. Are regions implemented yet? I haven't figured out a way to get them to work, if not, I'll look forward to them, but if they are, could someone shed light on what they are for, and how to set them up? Also, some of the Large Scale commands confuse me. I'm not exactly sure what they do. The only one that I've gotten to work is "Delete Statics" which seems very useful. I figured that "Insert Statics" would replace the statics in certain areas (for example, forests), but I found that it did nothing. Could someone please let me know if they are working yet, and what they do. I've tried and tried, but I just can't seem to figure it out!  :lol:

Thanks a lot.

-E

Nobby

Hi,

CentrED is now an open source project so it's not being developed by the author that much ;) some guys here do tamper with the code so once in a while we will have an update.

Regions AFAIK are restrictions for clients. The admin can restrict the area in which a specific client can work from the administration menu.

The insert statics large scale command allows one to spam the target area with statics - in order for it to work you have to drag and drop the statics from the main list into the large scale command list.

Hope this helps.
Nobby

elysianhero

Ah, I see! Are there any updates beyond 0.4.1?
Also, what about the lag? I experience a several second lag after every action, which makes the mouse jump and makes clicking very hard (as the mouse has to hover steadily on the same tile for a few seconds until the click registers). Searching through the tiles and performing large scale commands, though, are rather speedy in comparison. Is this a known issue?

And, thank you for your help answering my questions. CentrED seems really great so far, the only issue I currently have is the crippling lag.

Thanks again!

-E

Nobby

At this point 0.4.1 is the newest - no updates :|

About the lag... what kind of map are you using? Was it changed by software such as radmapcopy. If so, try reading THIS TOPIC. There's a fix for statics there that could help you out.

Regards,
Nobby

elysianhero

Thanks for the help!
Hmm... I haven't modified any maps yet, I've been using the ones that come with Ultima Online,  v6.0.1.10. Regardless, I tried downloading the tool. I may not have used it right. I copied it into the Ultima Online directory (where the staidx.mul files are) and ran it. A black command window appeared and disappeared in less then a sec. Perhaps it worked, or perhaps it didn't, but either way, CentrED still goes incredibly slow. :(

I should note that it goes slow on every map, even the tiny Tokuno, and goes slow even if all of the statics are deleted. Thanks for tying to help :)
I hope that we can get this figured out.

-E

Nobby

Guess not ;D

What machine is the server running on?

I tried opening the original map on my this weekend and it didn't lag too much, well within the limits of comfortable work.

Nobby

elysianhero

It's running on Windows Vista, Duo Core, at 2.3 GHz, and 1 GB of ram. Nothing particularly special, but it should be able to handle such an application. I have also tried installing it on my other machine at 3.4 GHz, and 2 GB of ram. No different. I've heard people talk of using it without error on Vista before (...I think?). I mean, it's pretty much going to be impossible to edit about without CentrED, haha, so I have to get this resolved. Is there any information that I could give you that would be more helpful?

Thanks.

-E

Nobby

I'm not really into the technical side od the whole thing - just a simple user ;D

And I used to run it on WinXP Dual Core 2.4 2GB Ram and had no problems at all... Right now I'm using it on my laptop - Vista, dual core 2.4, 4GB Ram - no problems here too.

I'm really out of ideas ... and I seem to be the only remaining active forum member (which sucks :|) Try PMing Hitman - he's the author so maybe he'll be able to figure out what's wrong.

Sorry for not helping much ;)
Nobby

elysianhero

Haha, it's ok :)
You'd think that there'd be more of a community for such a great project. Over at RunUO, where I am more active, there's a lot of support for it. But everyone seems to be ignoring me since they aren't sure what's causing it! ><

I also get a lot of errors when using just about every other program from the community... most of them work, but give me "Unhandled exception" errors when I click anything, or, like Pandora 2, crash during install. CentrED doesn't do anything like that (either does Genesis... hmmm), but maybe this is related. Anyway, if I do find a fix for it, I'll be sure to let the community here know. One day, CentrED will take over the world. ;)
Thanks again Nobby! :)

-E

Hitman

What graphics card do you have? And do you have the right (recent?) drivers installed? CentrED uses OpenGL for rendering, so different graphic chips/cards may have different performance (I developed and tested it mainly on a GeForce 7800).
I know, it shouldn't demand too much given what it displays. But I've not much experience in game engine development so my rendering code is surely very inefficient.

Brighid

QuoteRe: Is CentrED still in progress?
by elysianhero ยป Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:21 am
A black command window appeared and disappeared in less then a sec. Perhaps it worked, or perhaps it didn't, but either way, CentrED still goes incredibly slow.

Okay, I've uninstalled and reinstalled several times. I don't even get any black command window. I get the first client, where I put in my information, then the message that it can't connect. That's it. Any ideas (that don't include me having to know anything techy about my computer, because I'm an idiot that way) would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!